Friday, February 1, 2008

I found my thrill on blueberry hill

I took a quick trip upriver last weekend for a friend's birthday celebration in St. Louis. And while I didn't visit Chuck Berry's famous Blueberry Hill on this trip (or Stan Musial's for that matter), it was a fun-filled, action-packed weekend. And I saw an amazing sight: icein the Mississippi River.


Who knew?!? I mean, I've seen ice in rivers before (Kennebec River in Maine, Maury and Potomac Rivers in Virginia), but the mighty Mississip? I was amazed. Imagine what it looks like at Lake Itasca in Januaryprobably just a solid trickle of ice.

And amidst all my excitement about ice in the Mississippi, I made another amazing discovery. I discovered the perfect way to kill two proverbial birds with one stone: antsy airplane time and ever-so-tedious weaving in ends of (almost) finished objects. With all the airline travel restrictions and my desire to travel with as little bulk as possible, I decided not to bring any ongoing knitting projects. Instead, I brought my Little Gems Mitts that were finished other than the weaving in of the (dozens of) ends. It was the perfect airplane activity, filling a two-hour flying block of time and eliminating all the distractions that normally keep me from completely finishing projects when I'm on the ground. The Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift I used in the project was easy to break with my teeth, and I got only a few odd looks from my seat neighbor. And when I landed, I had a nice warm pair of new fingerless mitts to wear. I plan on spending future flying time doing all the boring finishing activities on otherwise finished objects. I apologize for the blurry phone pictures in this post. Stay tuned for pictures from a real camera of the superbly obnoxious sequined bubble skirt I made for my friend for her birthday. Coming soon to a blog near you!

2 comments:

hilary said...

YES! Kennebec River shout out!

Celeste said...

You can carry small knitting scissors on board now. TSA says so, and I've done it.

Another option is to bring along the ring pop top thingy from a can of Coke. If you pop it off the can, it will have a sharp enough edge to cut yarn and it gets through security with no problem.