Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Long overdue

I know, I know. I've been a horribly neglectful blogger recently. But not for lack of things to blog about. The past month has been a flurry of finishing old projects and starting new ones—and getting a leg up on those daunting Christmas crafts. So without further ado, here's a rundown of finished objects and a preview of things to come.

Bryant's Slipover

My very first sweater-type garment is finished! I wore it to work yesterday, and it was so warm and soft (I used Garnstudio Drops alpaca). Even though it's knitted to gauge and blocked to measurements, it's still a little "gapey" at the top, but I guess that just allows for bulkier undergarments.

Here's another view, and there are even more pictures on Ravelry (subtropicalkatie), if you're so inclined.




Swatch Bangle

I saw these on Mimsie's Ravelry page, and loved the idea, so I went a little Fetching with them. I'm up to three so far
with more to come before Christmas. (Close your eyes for the next few pictures if you think you might be on my Christmas list.)

I used my favorite cable stitch of all time (Hollow Oak from "Vogue Knitting") and some stash Debbie Bliss cashmerino aran in a dark blue for the first one:


The next is just a regular thick cable and some stash Lions Brand Wool Ease in a tan-brown:

I'll keep the remaining ones a mystery for now
at least until Christmas.

I'm a checklist kind of girl, so signing off on all these objects brings me lots of satisfaction. But I'm also an only-happy-when-I'm-busy girl, so I've obviously got a few new projects in the works.

Little Gems Mitts

My first foray into non-Fetching fingerless mitts is turning out well so far. I haven't had any nervous breakdowns or Debbie Bliss withdrawals
yet. Here's a progress shot of the Little Gems Mitts from Interweave Knit's Holiday Gifts. I'm using the yarn used in the pattern, Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift but in a different color scheme. My "gems" will be various shades of green.


And in other crafty news...

The sewing machine has been lugged downstairs and is hard at work again on several new projects. The only one that's finished so far is a modified version of the clutch from the cover of Amy Karol's book. I stumbled on some great Free Spirit gnome fabric while online shopping at Purl and knowing that I was soon to be the houseguest of a gnome-loving friend, I decided to put it to good use. As for the modifications, it's reversible. I added a ribbon along the edge of the solid side for a little more pizazz and voila! I think it was a hit!




5 comments:

Redheadskydiver said...

Saw your article in Knitty.com and realized your also from New Orleans and just had to stop by and say hi! I've also been to Turkey (shhh, my ex-husband was Turkish) and it's a very interesting place to visit! Hope to run into around town sometime and stop by my blog if you get a chance.

hilary said...

More than a hit!!! I love it! You are the bestest Katie Jane!!!

tamdoll said...

Wow! I love the pullover - where is that pattern from??!! And the bangles are a fantastic idea! I came to your blog through Knitty & will be putting it in my feedreader to see what you're upto next, it all looks great.

tamdoll said...

Thanks for the reply & the link. The felt bowls at my blog were from the OneSkein book - basically, just some mini hats! And they are very hot - people love to fill them with things and give them as gifts. Too bad I forgot to take pictures of the others I finished this week, too.

a friend to knit with said...

love, love, love the pullover.
it looks fantastic on you!
congratulations!
love those bangles, and your reversible clutch is sooo cute!